IAOM Southeastern District Meets in Myrtle Beach, SC, Oct. 3-4
Date Posted: October 11, 2012
by Karl Ohm
Nearly 35 members from the International Association of Operative Millers (IAOM) Southeastern District attended the 2012 Fall Meeting and Technical Conference, October 3-4, at The Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel, Myrtle Beach, SC.
A golf tournament was held at 11:30 on Wednesday, October 3, at the Waterway Hills Golf Club, located off of North Kings Highway in Myrtle Beach.
Meeting registration and a reception were held Wednesday from 7 to 8 p.m. at the hotel.
The reception was sponsored by the Allied Trades Contributors (as listed below).
The Allied Trades Contributors to the reception and the meeting included: Buhler; Caravan Ingredients; Creason Corrugating; Great Western Manufacturing Co.; Jeb Brush; Kice Industries, Inc.; Lubrication Engineers, Inc.; Pace Company; Pepper Maintenance Systems, Inc.; Royal Pest Solutions; and Sefar.
On Thursday, October 4, the technical program was opened by Charles Richardson, chairman of the IAOM’s Southeast District, and milling superintendent, Mennel Milling Co., Roanoke, VA.
Before the technical program, Joel Hoffa, IAOM vice president, and milling engineer, of Mennel Milling Co., Newport, MN, provided a brief update and overview of IAOM’s activities and programs.
Danni Altman, IAOM administrative assistant, Overland Park, KS, also gave a brief overview about the redesign and upgrade to the association’s website.
The program included several presentations, covering:
• Fumigation Update, Nathan Stocker, commercial fumigation manager, Royal Pest Solutions, New Castle, DE.
• Best Methods for Magnetic Separation in the Milling Industry, Collins McGeorge, regional sales manager, Industrial Magnetics, Inc., Westerville, OH.
• ARC Flash Safety: What is the Danger and How is it Mitigated? What are the Standards?, William (Bruce) Bowman, professional engineer and vice president, Fox Systems, Inc., Calhoun, GA.
• Contamination Control and Lubrication Best Practices, Chris Nowlen, lubrication consultant, Lubrication Engineers, Inc., Tullahoma, TN.
• Industrial Explosion Protection, David Grandaw, regional sales manager, Fenwal Protection Systems, Elmhurst, IL.
• A Comparison of Rolls versus VFD Controlled Pinmills in the Grinding of Bran Laden Tail End Stocks, Joel Hoffa, milling engineer, Mennel Milling Company, Newport, MN.
• Environmentally Responsible, Non-Destructive Cleaning in the Milling Industry, Tyson Marlowe, director global development, Cold Jet, LLC, Loveland, OH.
• Predictive Maintenance Using Infrared and Vibration Analysis, Randy Springer, president, Pepper Maintenance Systems, Inc., Minier, IL.
The meeting also included a table top trade show that involved five companies.
Those included: Central Life Sciences; Industrial Magnetics, Inc.; Lubrication Engineers, Inc.; Pepper Maintenance Systems, Inc.; and Sefar.
On Thursday evening, attendees were able to attend a dinner and be entertained at the Pirates Voyage in Myrtle Beach, a swashbuckling-themed performance developed by the Dolly Parton Company.
2013 IAOM Southeastern District Meeting
The IAOM Niagara, Ohio Valley, Wolverine, and Southeastern Joint Districts’ Fall Meeting and Technical Conference will be held September 25-27, 2013 in Roanoke, VA. The Southeastern District will be hosting this meeting.
Attendees also were reminded that the 117th Annual IAOM Conference and Expo, will be held April 29-May 3, 2013, in Niagara Falls, ON, at The Hilton Fallsview Hotel and Scotiabank Convention Center.
For more information, call IAOM at 913-338-3377. Web: www.iaom.info.
Before the close of the meeting, the Southeastern district held its business meeting for the election of officers in 2012-13.
The results are as follows:
• Bob Ruckman, Milner Milling Company ─ Director
• Charles Richardson, Mennel Milling Company ─ Chairperson
• Stephen Banks, Milner Milling Company ─ Vice Chairperson
• Harry Myers III, Caravan Ingredients Co. ─ Secretary / Treasurer
• Dustin Mariman, Wilkins-Rogers, Inc. ─ 1st Exe. Committeeperson
• Danesi Dokpesi, Milner Milling Co. ─ 2nd Exe. Committeeperson
• Open ─ 3rd Exe. Committeeperson
• Art Creason, Creason Corrugating Co. ─ Allied Trades Chairperson
For more information, visit http://www.iaom.info/
See Related Websites/Articles: