GIPSA, NAEGA, and NGFA Pacific Northwest Industry Regional Workshop ... Aug. 13 ... Portland, OR
Date Posted: August 13, 2013
Industry members are invited to participate in another in a series of Regional Workshops scheduled for Aug. 13 in Portland, Ore., organized by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration (USDA/ GIPSA), the North American Export Grain Association and NGFA.
There is no charge to attend the day-long workshop, which will begin at 8 a.m. and conclude by 3:30 p.m. at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel at the Convention Center, 435 NE Wasco St. in downtown Portland.
Coffee and continental breakfast will be available starting at 7:30 a.m., with lunch on-your-own.
The workshop will focus on industry, grain inspection- and grain quality-related issues important to the Paciﬁ c Northwest region.
Topics are scheduled to include an update on efforts to maintain and restore tenders for Western White Wheat following the discovery of biotech-enhanced plant material on a single ﬁeld of a single farm in Oregon, with representatives of USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, GIPSA and industry participating in the discussion.
Federal Grain Inspection Service (FGIS) Deputy Administrator Randall D. Jones and his key staff will be attending and giving presentations, as will NAEGA President and Chief Executive Ofﬁcer Gary C. Martin and NGFA President Randy Gordon.
Other topics to be discussed will include:
• Market overview.
• Program update from the FGIS.
• Update on phytosanitary issues, including those associated with Canadian grain exported from the United States.
• Facility operations and domestic and trade policy issues.
• Ofﬁ cial grain inspector quality assurance.
• Railcar fall protection for ofﬁ cial grain inspectors.
• Mycotoxin testing services.
• Falling number monitoring program.
• Adoption of new moisture meter technology in the ofﬁ cial inspection system.
• “Sprinter” wheat variety.
• Outlook on trade and local market issues from Paciﬁc Northwest industry members.
Hotel Reservations: Industry members needing hotel accommodations should contact the Courtyard by Marriott at 1-503-234-3200.
Mention the National Grain and Feed Association to secure the special room rate of $179 per night, single or double occupancy.
Hotel reservations should be made by no later than Aug. 2.
If you have any difﬁculty obtaining a hotel room reservation, please contact Mary Hitchcock at the NGFA’s ofﬁce at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 202-289-0873.