K-State Department of Grain Science and Industry ... Professor and Department Head
Date Posted: May 8, 2014
POSITION: Professor and Department Head, full-time, 12-month appointment/b>
LOCATION: Department of Grain Science and Industry, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas
The Department of Grain Science and Industry at Kansas State University is seeking an entrepreneurial, visionary, creative, and pro-active leader for this unique and internationally recognized department.
The Department is the only academic institution worldwide that offers three distinct undergraduate degrees in Baking, Feed, and Milling Science and Management; and M.S. and PhD. Degrees in Grain Science.
Additional details about degrees, programs, and facilities are available at www.grains.ksu.edu.
The department head is expected to be accessible, transparent, and be a consensus builder while providing leadership and vision in planning and supervising programs relevant to the department’s mission statement.
Additionally, the head is to engage industry to help identify and respond effectively to global grain and commodities utilization industries’ challenges and opportunities. The head is expected to engage faculty in decision making, manage departmental budgetary and financial matters, assist in generating extramural support, and provide leadership in fund-raising.
The head is expected to foster excellence in undergraduate and graduate teaching, research, extension, and other outreach efforts (i.e., International Grains Program, Kansas Wheat Quality Lab, Bioprocessing and Industrial Value Added Program).
The incumbent will evaluate, counsel, and promote the professional development of faculty, staff, and students.
The head is expected to work closely with department heads, college and university administrators, industry leaders, other universities, government, and public groups.
The head will lead through fostering funding opportunities, and retain and expand the department’s reputation as the global leader in grain and cereal science.
The Department Head is to provide leadership and administrative actions to:
- Administer personnel, facilities, and budgets
- Implement the department’s 2025 strategic vision and align resources to achieve strategic goals
- Recruit and retain excellent faculty, staff, and students that promote the department
- Promote and encourage professional development of faculty, staff, and students
- Develop and deliver programs in teaching, research, and extension
-Attract extramural funding to support research programs in the department and facilitate large multi-disciplinary federal-funded projects
- Enhance undergraduate and graduate student enrollment, retention, and financial support
- Raise funds to develop new facilities and enhance financial support for all segments of the department
- Maintain and promote quality and innovative international programs
- Communicate openly with faculty, staff, students, university administrators, and all stakeholders
- Create an environment that fosters diversity, collegiality, and ability to work in a multicultural setting
- Facilitate the education of students through collaboration and in partnership with the grain supply chain industries
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Ph.D. or terminal degree in a discipline relevant to grain science and industry programs
- Eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Qualified to be tenured at the rank of full professor in the department
- Strong commitment to excellence in research, teaching, and extension
- Demonstrated exceptional leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Experience in management of budgets, personnel, and planning
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and lay audiences and industry
- Strong commitment to expanding diversity in the department and college community
- Comprehensive knowledge of grain handling, storage, processing, and utilization
- Strong industry ties
- Proven record of securing grants
- Strong record of achievement in fund-raising
- Appreciation of the Land Grant System
SALARY AND BENEFITS: This is an unclassified position at Kansas State University.
The salary will be commensurate with the qualifications of the applicant.
The K-State benefit package includes a retirement plan, group health and life insurance, worker’s compensation, vacation, sick leave and other benefits.
For additional information on benefits, see www.ksu.edu/hr/benefits
HOW TO APPLY: Qualified persons are invited to apply by sending the following materials:
1) a letter of application,
(2) a statement of the applicant’s leadership philosophy and vision and how his/her qualifications contribute to meeting the responsibilities of the position;
(3) a complete curriculum vitae; and
(4) the names of three professional references that include professional title, mailing address, telephone number, and email address for each.
At least one of the references should be able to speak to the applicant’s ability or potential to supervise employees and manage an organization.
Nominations of outstanding candidates are welcomed. Minority and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Initial nominations, inquiries, and applications will be kept strictly confidential.
References will be contacted only after receiving approval from qualified applicants.
Only the names of finalists who accept an invitation to interview will be made public. Background check required.
Nominations, letters of interest, and application materials should be sent to Ms. Dorothy Doan, GSI Department Head Search, Office of the Dean and Director, College of Agriculture, 114 Waters Hall, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas 66506.
Electronic submission is preferred and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions and inquiries of interest may be made to the chair of the Search and Screening Committee, Dr. Curtis Kastner, Director, Food Science Institute, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas 66506, Phone: 785-532-1234; Email: email@example.com.
CLOSING DATE: Review of applications begin July 31, 2014, and continues until the position is filled.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Background check required.
See Related Websites/Articles:
2016 NGFA/GJ Safety/Grain Quality Presentation Videos