United Cooperative (WI) Donates $28,000 to State Food Pantries
Date Posted: January 6, 2014
Beaver Dam—In celebration of the New Year, United Cooperative, based in Beaver Dam, just released $28,000 in monetary funds to 28 different food pantries throughout their south-central and north-east Wisconsin trade territory.
According to Feeding America, “Rates of food insecurity among rural households is generally lower than urban households, but slightly higher than the national average.
"The irony is that many of these food-insecure households are in the very rural and farm communities whose productivity feeds the world and provides low-cost wholesome food for American consumers.”
Feeding America goes on to note, “15.5 percent of rural households are food insecure, an estimated 3.1 million households, and 8.5 million Americans (17.7 percent) living in rural areas live below the federal poverty line.”
“We’ve learned from local food pantries that the demand for hunger-relief services is very strong,” commented David Cramer, United Cooperative president and chief executive officer.
“Our food-pantry contributions are a result of our efforts to have a cooperative that our patron members can rely on, both on their farms and in their local communities.
"As a cooperative, we want to help build a better world, and that starts right here in south-central and north-east Wisconsin.”
Food pantries receiving donations from United Cooperative include:
• Baraboo Food Pantry, Baraboo
• Berlin Emergency Food Pantry, Berlin
• City of Waupun Food Pantry, Waupun
• Columbus/Fall River Food Pantry, Columbus
• Community Cupboard, Inc., Denmark/Maribel
• Deerfield Community Center, Deerfield
• Dodge County Food Pantry, Beaver Dam
• First United Methodist Church Food Pantry, Hartford
• Good Samaritan Thrift Store/Food Pantry, Hillsboro
• Holy Rosary Food Pantry, Kewaunee
• Johnson Creek Helping Hands Food Pantry, Johnson Creek
• Kingdom Come Food Pantry, Oconto Falls
• Loaves and Fishes Community Food Pantry, Shiocton
• Mayville Food Pantry, Mayville
• Milton Community Action Food Pantry, Milton
• People Against A Violent Environment, Inc. (PAVE), Beaver Dam
• Paul’s Pantry, Inc., Green Bay
• Portage Food Pantry, Portage
• Reedsburg Area Food Pantry, Reedsburg
• Ripon Community Food Pantry and Thrift Store, Ripon
• Shawano Area Food Pantry and Resource Center (SAFPARC), Shawano
• Sacred Heart Parish, Horicon
• St. Martin Parish Food Pantry, Cecil
• St. Stephen’s Food Pantry, Horicon
• Sauk Prairie Area Food Pantry, Inc., Prairie du Sac
• Community Pantry of Pulaski, Inc., Pulaski
• TULP Food Pantry, Tilleda
• Watertown Food Pantry, Watertown
For more information, call 920-887-1756.